During the summer of 2020, a number of events around the country made us reflect on the sport of cycling, how we could positively impact those living in our community, and how we could spread the message that cycling is for everyone and every body.
One of the main barriers of entry to cycling are the associated start-up costs. We want to remove that barrier by providing a scholarship that will help people get moving and discover the joys of cycling. This scholarship hopes to provide a female-identifying cyclist with the tools and equipment in order to empower them to reach their goals.
WHO CAN APPLY
Applicants can be anyone who:
- Identifies as female
- Is 18 or older
- Is new to riding or cycling or has recently started riding
- Does not currently own a bike or does not own a bike that meets your cycling goals
- Reside in the Greater Lafayette area or in the state of Indiana and able to attend WRCC events
WHAT THE WRCC RIDE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDES
- Based on market availability: either a new or a lightly-used commuter or road-style bicycle
- A used bicycle will be well-operating and appropriately-sized for the recipient
- One-year membership to the Wabash River Cycling Club (WRCC)
- Annual bicycle maintenance provided by Velo Wrench Mobile Bicycle Repair for the duration of ownership by the recipient
- Appropriately sized helmet
- Saddle bag with spare tubes, travel pump, tire levers, and multi-tool
- Floor pump
- 2 water bottles with water bottle cages
- Front and rear bike lights
- Bike lock
- NOTE: All equipment will be provided to the recipient by June 27th, 2021, or earlier, based on market availability.
SCHOLARSHIP OBLIGATIONS FOR THE RECIPIENT
- Attend five (5) WRCC events and/or rides (calendar, listserv, or out-of-town rides) during your membership year with the WRCC
- Two (2) posts to your social media page(s) about your experiences with the WRCC or on out-of-town rides between June and December of 2021
- Tag the WRCC and associated sponsors in these posts
- NOTE: The scholarship committee fully understands and recognizes that there are some cases in which a recipient may need to remain anonymous on social media platforms for personal or professional reasons. We do not want to exclude candidates on this basis and ask that you please indicate your concerns on the application form.
- Provide an interview to the WRCC social media coordinator for content that will be shared on the WRCC blog and related accounts
- Use the provided gear on WRCC rides and events
Once you have fulfilled the above scholarship requirements, the gear is yours to keep! If in the future you decide to upgrade your bicycle or your needs change, please consider returning the bike to the WRCC for future applicants or pay it forward by donating your bike to someone else interested in cycling.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MAY 15TH, 2021
Applications submitted after May 15th will not be considered. We will announce the recipient of the scholarship on Monday May 24th, 2021. Once selected, we will contact the recipient and post to WRCC social media accounts. All equipment will be provided to the recipient by June 27th, 2021, or earlier, based on market availability.
HOW TO APPLY
The WRCC Ride Scholarship application can be found below:
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?
Please email Cameron Monroe or Britt Huff at email@example.com
If you would like to donate or become a sponsor of the WRCC Ride Scholarship, please use the link below:
The WRCC Ride Scholarship would not be possible without the contributions from our corporate and private sponsors. Please take a moment to thank them for their support!
Generous Donations and Support Provided By:
L & M Dixon Farms, LLC
Erin, Bradley, Madelyn, and Amelia