2022 Recipient Bios Coming Soon!
During the summer of 2020, a number of events around the country made us reflect on the sport of cycling, how we could positively impact those living in our community, and how we could spread the message that cycling is for everyone and every body.
One of the main barriers of entry to cycling are the associated start-up costs. We want to remove that barrier by providing a scholarship that will help people get moving and discover the joys of cycling. This scholarship hopes to provide a cyclist with the tools and equipment in order to empower them to reach their goals.
WHO CAN APPLY
Applicants can be anyone who:
- Identifies as:
- A woman
- Gender nonconforming, non-binary
- Those whose gender identity is fluid transgressive and or transitioning
- Is 18 or older
- Priority will be given to applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Is an ethnic or racial minority
- Is new to riding or cycling, or has recently started riding
- Has financial needs that inhibit pursuing their cycling goals
- Does not currently own a bike or does not own a bike that meets their cycling goals
- Resides in the Greater Lafayette area, or in the state of Indiana and is able to attend WRCC events
For any questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT THE WRCC RIDE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDES
- Based on market availability: either a new or a lightly-used commuter, mountain, or road-style bicycle
- A used bicycle will be well-operating and appropriately-sized for the recipient
- There can be no guarantee that the bike will meet the aesthetic preferences of the recipient due to market availability
- One-year membership to the Wabash River Cycling Club (WRCC) and/or Tippecanoe Mountain Bike Association (TMBA/HMBA)
- Annual bicycle maintenance for the life of the bicycle provided by Velo Wrench Mobile Bike Shop
- Appropriately sized helmet
- Saddle bag with flat repair kit and multi-tool
- Floor pump
- 2 water bottles with water bottle cages
- Front and rear bike lights
- Bike lock
- NOTE: All equipment will be provided to the recipient by July 1, 2022, or earlier, based on market availability.
SCHOLARSHIP OBLIGATIONS FOR THE RECIPIENT
- Attend five (5) WRCC events and/or rides (calendar, listserv, or out-of-town rides) during their membership year with the WRCC
- Two (2) posts to their social media page(s) about their experiences with the WRCC or on out-of-town rides between July 2022 and July of 2023
- Tag the WRCC and associated sponsors in these posts
- NOTE: The scholarship committee fully understands and recognizes that there are some cases in which a recipient may need to remain anonymous on social media platforms for personal or professional reasons. We do not want to exclude candidates on this basis and ask that they please indicate their concerns on the application form.
- Provide an interview to the WRCC social media coordinator for content that will be shared on the WRCC blog and related accounts
- Use the provided gear on WRCC rides and events
Once the above scholarship requirements have been fulfilled, the gear is yours to keep! If in the future you decide to upgrade your bicycle or your needs change, please consider returning the bike to the WRCC for future applicants or pay it forward by donating your bike to someone else interested in cycling.
Applications submitted after May 15, 2022, will not be considered. We will announce the recipient of the scholarship on June 8th, 2022. Once selected, we will contact the recipient and post to WRCC social media accounts. All equipment will be provided to the recipient by July 1st, 2022, or earlier based on market availability.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for 2022 are now closed! Keep an eye out in the spring of 2023 for scholarship announcements.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?
Please email us at email@example.com
If you would like to donate or become a sponsor of the WRCC Ride Scholarship, please use the link below:
The WRCC Ride Scholarship would not be possible without the contributions from our corporate and private sponsors. Please take a moment to thank them for their support!