To diversify the Greater Lafayette cycling community by providing equitable access to equipment and mentorship for recreation, competition, and transportation for underrepresented and marginalized minorities interested in cycling.
WHAT IS THE SCHOLARSHIP?
For many people, cycling is an expression of fitness, an enjoyable pastime spent with friends and family, a way to manage mental health, and a means of travel. However, we recognize that the cycling industry caters to a limited demographic and that there are also cultural and financial factors that make it difficult to break into cycling as a transportation, hobby, or sport.
Therefore, the Wabash River Cycling Club (WRCC) would like to remove the cost of entry to the sport for an individual interested in starting or continuing their cycling journey. The 2023 WRCC Ride Scholarship is offering an exciting opportunity for a cyclist in an under-represented demographic to receive a package worth up to $1,800. This package includes a new or gently used bicycle and related safety equipment that will get them exploring on two wheels and help them reach their cycling-related goals.
WHO CAN APPLY
Applicants can be anyone who:
- Identifies as:
- A woman
- Gender nonconforming, non-binary
- Those whose gender identity is fluid transgressive and or transitioning
- Is 18 or older
- Priority will be given to applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Is an ethnic or racial minority
- Is new to riding or cycling, or has recently started riding
- Has financial needs that inhibit pursuing their cycling goals
- Does not currently own a bike or does not own a bike that meets their cycling goals
- Resides in the Greater Lafayette area, or in the state of Indiana and is able to attend WRCC events
For any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com
WHAT THE WRCC RIDE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDES
- Based on market availability: either a new or a lightly-used commuter, mountain, or road-style bicycle
- A used bicycle will be well-operating and appropriately-sized for the recipient
- There can be no guarantee that the bike will meet the aesthetic preferences of the recipient due to market availability
- One-year membership to the Wabash River Cycling Club (WRCC)
- Appropriately sized helmet
- Saddle bag with flat repair kit and multi-tool
- Floor pump
- 2 water bottles with water bottle cages
- Front and rear bike lights
- Bike lock
- NOTE: All equipment will be provided to the recipient by May 20th, 2023, or earlier, based on market availability.
SCHOLARSHIP OBLIGATIONS FOR THE RECIPIENT
- Attend five (5) WRCC events and/or rides (calendar, listserv, or out-of-town rides) during their membership year with the WRCC
- Two (2) posts to their social media page(s) about their experiences with the WRCC or on out-of-town rides between July 2023 and July of 2024
- Tag the WRCC and associated sponsors in these posts
- NOTE: The scholarship committee fully understands and recognizes that there are some cases in which a recipient may need to remain anonymous on social media platforms for personal or professional reasons. We do not want to exclude candidates on this basis and ask that they please indicate their concerns on the application form.
- Provide an interview to the WRCC social media coordinator for content that will be shared on the WRCC blog and related accounts
- Use the provided gear on WRCC rides and events
Once the above scholarship requirements have been fulfilled, the gear is yours to keep! If in the future you decide to upgrade your bicycle or your needs change, please consider returning the bike to the WRCC for future applicants or pay it forward by donating your bike to someone else interested in cycling.
The application for the scholarship opened on February 15th, 2023. Applications closed on March 15th, 2023. We announced the recipients of the scholarship on April 1st, 2023. All equipment will be provided to the recipient at the New Rider Callout on May 20th, 2023, as market availability allows.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are closed and recipeints have been announced on social media!
Please check back in early 2024 for next year's applicaiton.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to donate or become a sponsor of the WRCC Ride Scholarship, please use the link below:
Our 2023 Sponsors
The WRCC Ride Scholarship would not be possible without the contributions from our corporate and private sponsors. Please take a moment to thank them for their support!
Amelia, Bradley, Erin, & Madelyn
Dan and Allie Brandt
During the summer of 2020, a number of events around the country made us reflect on the sport of cycling, how we could positively impact those living in our community, and how we could spread the message that cycling is for everyone and every body.
One of the main barriers of entry to cycling are the associated start-up costs. We want to remove that barrier by providing a scholarship that will help people get moving and discover the joys of cycling. This scholarship hopes to provide a cyclist with the tools and equipment in order to empower them to reach their goals.